Welcome to the website of the Ice Prediction Workshop activity. We are currently starting the organization of the second workshop which is planned to take place during the SAE International 2023 Conference on Icing of Aircraft, Engines, and Structures in Vienna. The first workshop was conducted as the 1st AIAA Ice Prediction Workshop in 2021 during the Aviation Forum (online).
The main goal of these workshops is to assess state-of-the-art of icing prediction tools with 2D and 3D experimental data. We aim to provide an impartial forum to evaluating the effectiveness of icing methods and to identify the areas needing additional research and development.
1st AIAA Ice Prediction Workshop Presentations:
- PresentationsThe presentations from the workshop are now available here. We thank all participants for their contributions and the interesting discussions.
- Final AgendaThe final program for the 1st AIAA Ice Predicton Workshop has been released. Please find the pdf version of the documen there: Final Agenda (pdf) Last updated 20.07.21
- 6th Update on Workshop, Registration and SubmissionDear IPW-1 Participant, Here are some friendly reminders regarding the approaching workshop deadlines: DATA SUBMISSION: Thank you for all of the data uploaded to date. The cut-off date is 21 June 2021. You may upload data after 21 June 2021, however, there is no guarantee that your data will be included in the workshop if submitted after this date. WORKSHOP AGENDA: The draft agenda currently includes time for discussions at the end of each daily session. We will release the draft agenda near the end of this month. The amount of time allocated to each presenter will depend, in part,Continue reading “6th Update on Workshop, Registration and Submission”
- 5th Update on Data Submission and RegistrationDear IPW-1 Participant, Here are more updates and information on the upcoming workshop. DATA SUBMISSION: Please continue to upload your data through 21 June 2021. This action will confirm your participation in the workshop and you will therefore be invited to present your results at the workshop. You may upload data after 21 June 2021, however, there is no guarantee that your data will be included in the workshop if submitted after this date. WORHSHOP AGENDA: We will release the agenda about one month before the workshop. The amount of time allocated to each presenter, will depend, in part onContinue reading “5th Update on Data Submission and Registration”
- 4th Updates on Workshop and Townhall MeetingDear IPW-1 Participant, Here are more updates and information on the upcoming workshop. WORKSHOP DATE & TIME: We have updated the dates and times for the workshop. The response to our survey indicated that we may have at least 20 participants from around the world, including many from Europe. Therefore, we have scheduled the workshop to take place over four half-days: 26-29 July 2021 from 0900 to 1300 US Eastern Time (GMT -4). WORKSHOP REGISTRATION: You must register for the workshop with AIAA in order to attend. The registration fee is $99 USD for AIAA members and $199 USD for non-members. HereContinue reading “4th Updates on Workshop and Townhall Meeting”
- 3rd Updates and Townhall MeetingDear IPW-1 Participant, Here are more updates and information on the upcoming workshop. COMPARISON STANDARDS: We have updated the data comparison document with new information (see charts 8-10). The updated document is available here. DATA SUBMISSION FORMAT AND UPLOAD INSTRUCTIONS: Sample data submission files have uploaded to the website here. The file “README.Instructions.txt” provides details information regarding how to upload your data. DATA EXTRACTION FOR COLLECTION EFFICIENCY CASES: Tecplot-format surface wrap data files are provided here to interpolate Cp and collection efficiency from the grids provided by the committee. These are line data files with X Y Z corresponding to the grid coordinates incorporating any angle ofContinue reading “3rd Updates and Townhall Meeting”
- Ice Mass and Tracing Locations InformationDear IPW participants, Please note this new information regarding the locations corresponding to the experimental ice shape tracings, MCCS, scan area and mass values. Please refer to the descriptions and figures in this new document on the website. Best regards, IPW Workshop Team
- Correction for test caseDear IPW-1 Participant, We have made some minor corrections to the air temperature and pressure for Cases 111, 112, 121 and 122. Please refer to the updated document here. Also, please complete the participant survey by 31 March, 2021. The results of this survey are very important for planning the workshop event. Thank you, IPW-1 Organizing Committee We have made some minor corrections to the air temperature and pressure for Cases 111, 112, 121 and 122. Please refer to the updated document here. Also, please complete the participant survey by 31 March, 2021. The results of this survey are very important for planning the workshop event.Continue reading “Correction for test case”
- 2nd Update on the IPWDear IPW-1 Participant, As you may know by now, AIAA has officially announced that the 2021 Aviation Forum will be an all virtual event. Furthermore, AIAA has also re-scheduled the virtual event for 2-6 August 2021. This means that our Ice Prediction Workshop will be conducted as a virtual-only event hosted by AIAA. The new dates for the virtual only workshop are 27-28 July 2021. AIAA is currently working on updates to the Aviation Forum website to incorporate these changes. The remainder of this letter provides more updates and information. COMPARISON STANDARDS: We have posted a new document to the website describing the standardsContinue reading “2nd Update on the IPW”
- Updates on the IPWDear IPW1 Participant, Thank you for your continued interest in the 1st Ice Prediction Workshop. This letter provides more updates and information as we get closer to the event. TEST CASES and EXPERIMENTAL DATA: All of the information required to set up and run the cases along with the experimental data for comparison should now be available on the workshop website: www.icepredictionworkshop.com COMPARISON STANDARDS: We are finalizing the set of standards for comparison of simulation results to the experimental data. These standards will provide for uniform comparison plots across all participants. We will notify you when this document is posted to the website. SUBMISSIONContinue reading “Updates on the IPW”
- Pointwise guidanceHello, Please find attached some information about how to import the provided .Ugrid files into Pointwise. Best regards, -Richard
- Information on Ice Prediction WorkshopDear IPW1 Participant, Thank you for your interest in the 1st Ice Prediction Workshop. This letter provides an update of what to expect over the next few months. TEST CASES: Geometries, grids, and icing conditions for test cases have been posted on the following website: www.icepredictionworkshop.com We are in the process of finalizing a document that provides the details required to set up and run the cases. We will notify you when this document is posted in January. EXPERIMENTAL DATA: We are also compiling the experimental data with the goal to post these data in electronic form on the website by the end ofContinue reading “Information on Ice Prediction Workshop”